A word of encouragement as we all RISE as the Church we are called to be:
First, RISE and Stand together against the evil of Racism.
Dear Amazing Disciples in Virginia:
These are the days when we must listen, stand, speak and act in whatever ways it takes to eliminate racism in our world. We as a church that proclaims to be “A Movement For Wholeness in a Fragmented World” must not be silent and we must be bold in our actions so that there can be no misunderstanding as to where we stand! This is the moment when we must RISE to the occasion so that we are sure of our purpose in this world and so that the world will see that the church is something different from the hate that thrives too much in our society.
More than words:
1. Listen to the stories of our brothers and sisters of color and believe them.
2. Where possible stand alongside in marches, peaceful protests or just take time to ask how people are doing and then see suggestion 1.
3. Sign up for the Poor Peoples Digital Justice Gathering on June 20/21 https://www.poorpeoplescampaign.org/june2020/ I pray that there might be representation from every church in this region as Rev. Dr. William J. Barber II is one of our own Disciples prophets . This is the time to RISE and be counted.
4. Watch for and join the next zoom conversation with the Virginia Anti-Racism/Pro-Reconciliation Unit. These are designed to allow people to share with one another and actively plan and promote ways we can make a difference together.
5. Join "A Conversation with Dr. William Lee on Racism in America and the Aftermath of George Floyd's Death" this Wednesday June 10th, 12-1. Given both recent and longstanding history, how oppression, racism and police brutality impacts Black and Brown American communities is something we all must understand. As Christians who work for justice, we offer this opportunity to listen, learn and challenge our perspectives. https://www.facebook.com/events/987873188298703/
6. Join a conversation sponsored by Lexington Theological Seminary with guest Rev. April G. Johnson who serves as the Minister of Reconciliation for the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States and Canada. "The Rocks Are Crying Out: Show Up. Speak Up. Stand Up" .Time: June 10, 2020 at 7 p.m. Eastern Time (U.S. and Canada) https://zoom.us/j/98857753524
7. Talk about it, preach about it, pray about it! We cannot be neutral or silent. How we respond now will be the future of the church!